Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) was a regiment of
the Canadian Army that served throughout the 20th Century,
as both a cavalry regiment and later as an armoured
regiment. Originally a Militia regiment, a Regular Force
component was later added, and the two were merged into a
Total Force unit in 1993.
In the 1980s, the Department
of National Defence formally recognized the year of
formation as 1848, without changing the Order of Precedence.
Previously, 3 Jan 1866 was considered the official date of
1848: New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry
formed from independent cavalry troops; first volunteer
cavalry regiment in British North America.
1869: incorporation of the regiment into the Canadian
Militia; this was recognized as the "official" formation
date until the 1980s.
1872: Redesignated 8th Regiment of Cavalry.
1884: Redesignated 8th Princess Louise's New
Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry and named for Princess
Louise, wife of the Governor General.
1892: Redesignated 8th Princess Louise's New
1941: Redesignated 5th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment
(8th Princess Louise's (New Brunswick) Hussars).
1949: Redesignated 8th Princess Louise's (New
Brunswick) Hussars (5th Armoured Regiment).
1957: Split into two components:
1960: Both components redesignated: 8th Canadian
Hussars (Princess Louise's)
Both components merged to form Total Force armoured
regiment headquartered at Moncton, NB.
Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's)
Perpetuates: 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles
Raised: 3 January 1848 (see article)
Status 1 January 2000: Militia regiment
The regiment provided a squadron for the 6th Canadian Mounted
Rifles, as well as personnel for other units, during the First World
During the Second World War, the regiment mobilized the "4th
Canadian Motorcycle Regiment, CASF (8 NBH)" in July 1940. On 9
February 1941, this unit was allocated to the Canadian Armoured
Corps as an armoured regiment, and designated "8th Canadian Hussars
(Princess Louise's)". It embarked for the UK in October 1941, and
was redesignated again as "5th Canadian Armoured Regiment (8th
Princess Louise's ((New Brunswick) Hussars) on 15 October 1943. The
unit served in the Italian Campaign with the 5th Canadian (Armoured)
Division, and moved to North-West Europe in February 1945. The
active unit disbanded on 15 February 1946.
The 5th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment 8th Princess Louise's (New
Brunswick) Hussars served in Canada as a Militia unit.
The Regular Force component created in 1957 served operationally
overseas, and was merged with the Militia component in 1993 into a
Total Force regiment.
Battle Honours in bold were selected for emblazonment:
France and Flanders 1915-16
Tomba di Pesaro
The regimental badge is described as
A knotted surcingle inscribed
"CANADIAN HUSSARS - PRINCESS LOUISE'S", surmounted by the
Coronet of HRH Princess Louise; in the centre of the surcingle,
the Roman numeral "VIII", and below, a scroll bearing the motto
"REGI PATRIAEQUE FIDELIS".2
The badge is described further at the
website of the Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges of Canada
in heraldic terms as follows:
Or the number “VIII” in Roman
numerals Argent within a knotted surcingle Azure edged and
inscribed CANADIAN HUSSARS - PRINCESS LOUISE’S in letters Or,
ensigned by the coronet of the younger child of the Sovereign
also Or, the whole set upon a scroll Gules edged and inscribed
REGI PATRIAEQUE FIDELIS in letters Or.
The site notes that the motto translates
into English as "faithful to King and country."3
The badge at left was thought at first
to be a post-war badge, but collector Dwayne Hordij passes on the
thought that (this badge might be postwar) too originally,
as badges of that design are usually thought to be from the
late 1940's early 1950's. The post war badges for that unit
are bi-metal. The badge (at right) was also bought from
Chris Brooker....one which he described as the pattern
introduced overseas circa 1943. It is all brass not
bi-metal. Mazeas book on Canadian Insignia 1920-1950 has the
General Order for the (bi-metal version of this) badge at
1950.....no mention is made of the all brass badge. At right
is a picture taken in 1945 of an officer of the unit
.....look at the pattern of his badge!! True officers
pattern badges can be slightly different, but for the most
part are similar in design as other ranks.....perhaps made
of different materials etc, but fundamentally similar.
badge with the buckle is very early war, and in all
likelihood prewar. The buckle is a heraldic symbol and
several units were told to remove it from their badges as
they were not entitled to wear it ...take a look at the
badges of the Cape Breton Highlanders, 48th Highlanders,
Regt de Maisonneuve as other example where earlier badges
had the buckle and were then removed. The non buckled
version of the 8th Hussars badge is extremely
common......and apparently became the cap badge of the 2nd
battalion when the overseas pattern was adopted.
can't prove any of this.......however the photographic
evidence and research of Chris Brooker ( who isn't always
right, but I would take his word over most any other) lends
enough to the debate to suggest that it is a war time badge.
April 1945, Holland. LAC photo
The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army (Queen's
Printer, Ottawa, ON, 1964), pp.69-70