Le Régiment de la Chaudière
Régiment de la Chaudière was an infantry regiment of the
Canadian Army into the 21st Century.
92nd Dorchester Regiment was authorized on 9
April 1869 as the Provisional Battalion of 'Dorchester',
and redesignated the 92nd "Dorchester" Battalion of
Infantry on 12 June 1885, retaining that designation
in August 1899 when the 23rd 'Beauce' Battalion of
Infantry amalgamated with it.
23rd Beauce Battalion of Infantry had been
authorized as The Provisional Battalion of 'Beauce' on 9
April 1869, then redesignated on 19 May 1871 to become
the 23rd 'Beauce' Battalion of Infantry until
amalgamated with the 92nd, as above.
92nd 'Dorchester' Battalion of Infantry was
redesignated the 92nd Dorchester Regiment on 8
Redesignated Le Régiment de Dorchester 1 April
Redesignated The Beauce Regiment 15 March 1921
Redesignated Le Régiment de Beauce 1 May 1921
Redesignated Le Régiment de Dorchester et Beauce
15 January 1932
Redesignated Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Mitrailleuses)
on 15 December 1936 upon amalgamation with the 5th
Machine Gun Battalion, Canadian Machine Gun Corps
(itself authorized 1 June 1919)
Redesignated Le Régiment de la Chaudière 1 April
Amalgamaed with Le Régiment de Lévis with no change in
designation 1 September 1954
Régiment de la Chaudière
Lake Megantic, PQ/Lévis PQ
Raised: 9 April 1869
Status on 31 Dec 1999: Active Regiment of the
First World War
The 17th and 92nd Regiments contributed men to the 12th Battalion
CEF on formation in September 1914.
Second World War
The regiment mobilized Le Régiment de la Chaudière (Mitrailleuses),
CASF on 1 September 1939, as a machine gun battalion. The unit was
redesignated Le Régiment de la Chaudière, CASF on 24 May 1940, and
embarked for the United Kingdom on 21 July 1941 as part of the 3rd
Canadian Infantry Division. The battalion, redesignated as 1st
Battalion, Le Régiment de la Chaudière, fought throughout the
North-West Europe campaign as a component of the 8th Canadian
Infantry Brigade, and was disbanded on 15 January 1946. a 3rd
Battalion mobilized on 1 June 1946 to served with the Canadian Army
Occupation Force in Germany, and disbanded on 24 April 1946. A 2nd
Battalion served in the Reserve Army.
The Right Honourable W.L.
Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of Canada, inspecting a
guard of honour from Le Régiment de la Chaudière at the
1st Canadian Infantry Division’s Sports Day, Redhill,
England, 1 July 1941. Distinctive unit insignia of the
can be seen in use, including the shoulder flash and the
maroon/silver/red helmet flash.
According to "The Regiments and
Corps of the Canadian Army", the badge description is:
crossed machine guns, a beaver, surmounted by a
fleur-de-lis; below and partly encircling the machine
guns, a scroll bearing the motto "AERE PERENNIUS" with a
small maple leaf on each end of the scroll.
measured 2" high by 1-15/16" wide.
Cloth Shoulder Flashes
During the Second World War, a cloth shoulder flash in white and red
stitching on a maroon background was worn on Battle Dress.
Mathieu of Le Régiment de la Chaudière, photographed
in the UK prior to D-Day. On his Battle Dress are
ribbons for the Coronation Medal and the Efficiency
Decoration. Regimental insignia includes a cap
badge, regimental shoulder title, and maroon