Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
The regiment was organized at Ottawa, Ontario on 10 August 1914 by Hamilton Gault, and recruited from former soldiers for service in the British Army rather than the Canadian Expeditionary Force. The unit went overseas and arrived in the U.K. on 14 October 1914, joining the 80th Brigade of the 27th Division. It moved to the Continent on 21 December 1914, and fought its first actions with as a component of this British formation, notably seeing action at Frezenberg during the 2nd Battle of Ypres. On 25 November 1915, the battalion was transferred to the Canadian Expeditionary Force, where it served in the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division. Three soldiers of the battalion were awarded the Victoria Cross, including Lieutenant H. McKenzie (30 October 1917), Sergeant G.H. Mullin, MM (30 October 1917) and Sergeant R. Spall (12-13 August 1918).
The PPCLI returned to Canada and disbanded on 19 March 1919.1 On 1 April 1919, the PPCLI was reconstituted as a regiment of the Permanent Active Militia, the full-time component of Canada's armed forces. The CEF component was officially disbanded by General Order 149/20 on 30 August 1920.2
The regiment was placed on active service on 1 September 1939, and on 22 December 1939 embarked for the United Kingdom as a component of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. The unit served in Sicily, Italy, and North-West Europe and returned to Canada in September 1945. The overseas battalion disbanded on 1 March 1946.
A second Battalion was raised on 1 June 1945 for service in the Pacific. This battalion was designated 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry). On 2 September 1945, when the Canadian Army Pacific Force was disbanded, this battalion was re-designated 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. On 1 March 1946 the battalion became simply Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, CIC, and on 27 June 1946 became a component of the post-war Permanent Force (Active Force). Battalions of the PPCLI served successively in Korea as part of the 25th Canadian Brigade, itself a component of the 1st Commonwealth Division.
On 7 August 1950, a 2nd Battalion was formed for service with the Canadian Army Special Force, the field force created for employment in the Korean War. On 1 January 1952, the 2nd Battalion officially "ceased to be embodied" in the CASF. A 1st Battalion was embodied in the CASF from 29 September 1951 to 31 December 1952, and a 3rd Battalion from 30 November 1950 to 1 November 1953. The 3rd Battalion was reduced to nil strength on 8 January 1954 and disbanded on 21 July 1954.
On 27 April 1970,
following major reorganizations of the Regular Force, a 3rd
Battalion was authorized once more.
After the Second World War, the regiment was divided into a number of separate battalions.
On 19 October 1954, The Loyal Edmonton Regiment changed its designation to become "The Loyal Edmonton Regiment (3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry)". The designation changed to "4th Battalion" when the PPCLI regained a third battalion of its own. The Loyal Edmonton Regiment remained a separate regiment, however, with distinct lineage, battle honours and perpetuations.
Field Force Contributions
The regiment went overseas to participate in the First World War as a whole. In the Second World War, the regiment mobilized as part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. A second battalion was raised for the Canadian Army Pacific Force in 1945.
In the Korean War, three numbered battalions were designated in 1950, and subsequently served in succession as part of the 25th Canadian Brigade. The 2nd Battalion, authorized on 7 Aug 1950, was the first to see combat, and were relieved by the 1st Battalion (itself a redesignation of the regiment at home). The 3rd Battalion was raised on 30 Nov 1950 and served in Korea in 1953. The regiment retained three battalions until 8 Jan 1954, when the 3rd Battalion was rebadged as a battalion of The Canadian Guards. A 3rd Battalion was once again created in 1970, when the Guards were disbanded.
The regimental badge is described as follows: