Winnipeg Light Infantry
The 106th Winnipeg Light Infantry contributed a large contingent to the 10th Battalion, CEF in September 1914.2 The unit also contributed to the 8th, 61st, 90th, 101st, 190th, 203rd, 222nd and 226th Battalions of the CEF.3 On 12 March 1920, as part of the reorganization of the Militia brought about by the Otter Commission, the regiment was redesignated The Winnipeg Light Infantry.
The regiment organized as a five-battalion regiment on 12 March 1920. The 1st Battalion perpetuated the 10th Battalion, CEF. After a protest by the newly reorganized Calgary Regiment, the 10th Battalion was declared to be dually perpetuated, as the 103rd Regiment "Calgary Rifles" had also contributed a sizeable contingent to the unit on its formation and had been reinforced as an Alberta unit. The other four battalions of The Winnipeg Light Infantry were Reserve ("paper") battalions, including the 2nd (perpetuating the 61st Battalion, CEF), 3rd (101st Battalion, CEF), 4th (222nd Battalion, CEF) and 5th (101st Battalion, CEF).
General Order 38 of 1932 permitted the regiment to perpetuate the prewar 91st Winnipeg Battalion of Light Infantry.
In 1936, as part of the modernization of the Militia, the regiment received a machine gun tasking and was redesignated as a Machine Gun battalion. The regiment did not mobilize for the Second World War, and in 1942 was designated a reserve unit. After the war in Europe ended, the regiment reverted to its original name, and in 1946 the Machine Gun designation was dropped. In 1955 the regiment amalgamated with The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, under the latter designation.4
The cap badge of the Winnipeg Light Infantry was patterned after that of the 10th Battalion, CEF, with a beaver and log central, with title scroll, wreath of maple leaves, and the Tudor Crown.4
Mazeas shows three different collar
badge designs. The first was patterned after the pre-war 106th
Regiment bugle horn badge, but with WLI replacing the numeral 106.
A later pattern is patterned after the 10th Battalion, CEF cap badge
with the legend 10TH BN CEF and 1ST BN superimposed. Both types were
issued in mirrored pairs with the beavers looking inward.
With the redesignation as a Machine Gun battalion, a different design of collar badge was patterned after the pre-war cap collar badges, with a light infantry bugle horn and the letters MG, and crossed Vickers Gun added to the design.
In 1934 a special oak leaf shoulder badge was granted to the regiment as a form of Honorary Distinction. The design incorporated an oak leaf and acorn. When the Battle Honours for the First World War were granted, the units perpetuating the 10th and 16th Battalions felt that the counter-attack at Kitchener's Wood on 22 April 1915 should have been recognized. The commanding officers of The Canadian Scottish Regiment, The Calgary Highlanders, and The Winnipeg Light Infantry petitioned Ottawa and with the support of prominent individuals like Sir Arthur Currie, negotiated this special dress distinction in lieu of a battle honour. Previous to this, the regiment wore a simple title reading WLI.