Trench Mortar Battery

The Trench Mortar Battery was a small unit organized during the First World War to employ Mortars in action.

Generally speaking, Trench Mortar Batteries were organized into sections, two guns (mortars) per section and four sections per battery. These batteries existed both at the Infantry Battalion level as well as the Infantry Brigade level (though in action the guns of the battery were usually attached out to the infantry battalions as needed).

The Trench Mortar Battery was commanded by a battery commander and four subalterns, with enough personnel to allow a five-man crew for each mortar, with one man designated as the gun commander.

Trench Mortar Batteries by 1918 were distributed as follows:

In all, an infantry division thus had 36 mortars of all types.

 


canadiansoldiers.com 1999-present