success of the Wasp (a Universal Carrier fitted with a flamethrower) led
to the development of the Badger. Universal Carriers were not proof
against any kind of anti-tank weapon (and were also extremely vulnerable
to mines), and so late model Ram Kangaroos had the bow machine-guns
replaced with a flame nozzle, with the Wasp fuel tanks located inside
the vehicle. The nozzle of the Wasp was actually fitted to the Badger
The Badger first saw action with The Lake Superior Regiment (Motor) in
Feb 1945; trial vehicles had been in the possession of First Canadian
Army from Dec 1944.
A second batch was ordered, known as Badger Mark II, in which an
armoured roof was added to the turret ring opening, with the auxiliary
turret from early Rams used as a commander's cupola, complete with
When the 5th Canadian (Armoured) Division relocated to North-West
Europe, they modified several Ram tanks, complete with turret, into
The scale of issue for the trial was 6 to each armoured regiment of 2nd
Canadian Armoured Brigade, and six to the Motor battalion of the 4th
Canadian (Armoured) Division (The Lake Superior Regiment (Motor)).
The Badger was originally known as the "Cougar".
Roberts, Paul The Ram: Development
and Variants Volume 2 (Service Publications, Inc., Ottawa,
ON, 2004) ISBN 1894581199
Knight, Doug (editor) Tools of the
Trade: Equipping the Canadian Army (Service Publications,
Ottawa, ON, 2005) ISBN 1894581237