The Kennedy Board was convened in May 1953 by the Chief of the General Staff, Guy Simonds. This three man board chaired by Major General Howard K. Kennedy, CBE, MC, examined the training, administration and organization of the Reserve Army. The report by the Kennedy Board submitted in January 1954 recommended returning to the traditional title of "Militia", replacing divisional and brigade headquarters with Militia Group headquarters (twenty-six in number). The report stated that while there was no requirement for a framework of brigades and divisions in peacetime, mobilization "...was to be the primary reason for training and equipping the new 'Militia'" resulting in a partially equipped and trained force able to act as a cadre in the event of mobilization.1
Recommendations included reducing the infantry and artillery components and increasing the number of armoured units (with armoured units also taking over the anti-tank role). Coastal and anti-aircraft defence units were also dispensed with. The Board's recommendations were largely accepted in March 1954, after discussion at a conference of Area Commanders in Ottawa. The board did make one major deviation from the recommendations; The South Alberta Regiment was slated for disbandment rather than the suggested amalgamation with The Loyal Edmonton Regiment.
On 21 June 1954, the new structure of the Militia was outlined in the House of Commons by Brooke Claxton, the Minister of National Defence. By this time the SAR were scheduled for amalgamation of the SAR, 68th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, and 41st Anti-Tank Regiment under the name 15th Alberta Light Horse, a rebirth for the 15th Light Horse that had lain dormant for several years. Throughout July and August of 1954 Alberta politicians protested the changes; on 28 September 1954 a compromise had been reached and the South Alberta Light Horse was created.2
The six divisions of the Canadian Army Reserve Force were disbanded and some 35 formation headquarters were replaced by Militia Group headquarters. Overall organization was changed to provide what the report called a "more appropriate mix of arms and services" and some units were re-roled, such as the conversion of B.C.-based heavy anti-aircraft units to other roles within the artillery. Improvements were made to the training syllabus of the Militia, and bonuses paid for attendance at the summer camps, while the size of the regular army was increased.3
The Canadian Army Reserve Force now became the Canadian Army (Militia), while the Canadian Army Active Force became the Canadian Army (Regular).