Regiment Grey's Horse was a regiment of cavalry formed
in the Canadian Army in 1908 as part of the Militia.1
The 24th Regiment Grey’s Horse was raised as a militia
cavalry regiment in Oxford and Waterloo counties on 2 Apr
1908. The name of the regiment is reportedly linked to Earl
Grey, Canada's Governor General from 1904 to 1911 and most
famous for his donation of the Grey Cup which eventually
became the championship trophy of the Canadian Football
League. The first commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel W.M.
Davis, established his headquarters in Woodstock, ON, and
two squadrons of an authorized four were established; "A"
Squadron in Woodstock under Captain J.M. Ross (OC) and
Captain D.M. Sutherland (2 i/c), both late of the Oxford
Rifles. "B" Squadron was established in Ingersoll under
Major T.R. Mayberry, with squadron officers Lieutenant James
Pullin and Lieutenant James Bastedo, both from Sweaburg.
In 1910, command passed to Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Mayberry;
his predecessor had moved to Prince Rupert, BC, to become
city engineer there. In 1911, "A" Squadron in Woodstock
moved to Princeton, under Captain Sutherland. The Regiment
remained active up to the outbreak of the First World War,
including attendance at annual summer camp.
The 24th Regiment was one of 226 Militia units contacted by
telegram in Aug 1914 by the Militia Minister; Lieutenant
Colonel T.R. Mayberry, the commanding officer, started
recruiting with the assistance of Major D.M. Sutherland.
Some 50 men were attested, from far-flung locales such as
Berlin (Ontario), Tillonsburg, Drumbo, Princeton, Ostrander
and Ingersoll. The first contingent, under Sutherland's
command, left Ingersoll via CP Rail on 20 Aug 1914.
At Valcartier, the 50 Grey's Horse soldiers were joined by
70 men of 22nd Regiment, The Oxford Rifles, eventually to
help form "A" Company of the 1st Battalion, Canadian
After the war, headquarters of the regiment moved Wingham,
ON under Lieutenant Colonel Moss. The two Oxford County
squadrons were also moved away, the only connection to
Oxford being through Lieutenant Colonel D.M. Sutherland, who
was named Honorary Colonel.
On 1 February 1921, the regiment was redesignated 9th
disbanded on 1 February 1936.2
Regiment Grey's Horse
Woodstock, ON (later moved to Wingham, ON)
Raised: 2 April 1908
Redesignated: 1 Feb 1921 to become 9th Grey's