6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars
Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army notes that a Montreal troop of cavalry served in the Fenian Raids of 1870. The 6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars placed details on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty, later forming part of a Montreal Composite Regiment. Troops of the regiment also contributed to the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, CEF which served in France and Flanders with the Canadian Corps.1
In the inter-war years, the regiment was authorized a 2nd Regiment for the Reserve order of battle on 1 November 1920, which was officially disbanded on 14 December 1936. An administrative disbandment occurred by General Order on 14 December 1936 during the reorganization of the Militia; the unit was reorganized on the following date.
During the Second World War, the regiment mobilized the 5th Canadian (Armoured) Division Headquarters Squadron (6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars) on 27 February 1941, and the unit embarked for the United Kingdom on 11 November. The unit disbanded on 1 January 1943 and its personnel were absorbed by the headquarters of the division. The reserve unit in Canada was designated 15th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment (6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars).
To facilitate amalgamation, the 6th Duke of Connaught's Royal Canadian Hussars was disbanded 15 September 1958 and reorganized the next day under the authority of CAO 78-3, Part 'B', Supp Issue No. 626/58.2