Strathcona's Horse was a regiment of cavalry formed in
the Canadian Army for service in the Boer War.
perpetuated by Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians).
Disbanded: 9 Mar 1901
Later Perpetuated by: Lord Strathcona's Horse
The regiment was one of the last in the British Empire to be
created and raised by a private individual. During the Boer
War, Donald Alexander Smith, 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount
Royal, recruited and equipped the regiment at his own
expense for service in South Africa. Many skilled horsemen
(cowboys and North West Mounted Police members) enlisted,
allowing for a short training period and rapid deployment to
Africa. The 537 officers and men, as well as 599 horses, of
the new regiment sailed from Halifax on 18 Mar 1900 and
arrived in Cape Town on 10 Apr. Along with The Royal
Canadian Dragoons, the regiment won renown for their
One member of Strathcona's Horse was awarded the Victoria
Cross; Sergeant A.H.L. Richardson rescued a wounded and
unhorsed comrade under enemy fire at Wolve Spruit on 5 Jul
1900. His VC was the first ever awarded to a soldier serving
with a Canadian unit.
The regiment boarded ship at Cape Town on 20 Jan 1901 for
return to the UK, where they arrived on 14 Feb. Here they
met Lord Strathcona for the first time and were presented
medals by King Edward VII personally. On its return to
Canada on 9 Mar 1901, the regiment was disbanded.
The regiment was perpetuated by Lord Strathcona's Horse
(Royal Canadians) when that regiment was first designated in
The regiment was itself an active service unit only.