Brunswick Rangers was an infantry regiment of the
Canadian Army until its amalgamation with The Saint John
Battalion of Infantry
authorized on 12 August 1870
Redesignated 74th Regiment 8 May
Redesignated 74th Regiment 'The New Brunswick
Rangers' 2 November 1903
Redesignated The New Brunswick Rangers
15 March 1920
Amalgamated with The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.) on 31
August 1946 to become The South New Brunswick
Regiment. The designation was changed three months
later, to The New Brunswick Scottish, on 2
New Brunswick Rangers
Perpetuates: 55th, 145th, 236th Battalions,
Raised: 12 August 1870
Amalgamated: 31 August 1946, to create The
South New Brunswick Regiment.
First World War
The 74th Regiment contributed men to the 12th Battalion, CEF, and
recruited for the 55th, 145th and 236th Battalions, CEF.
Second World War
Details of The New Brunswick Rangers were placed on active service
on 1 September 1939 for local protective duty. The regiment
mobilized "The New Brunswick Rangers" on 1 January 1941, and
moved to Goose Bay, Labrador in June 1942. They served there as part
of "G" Force, defending the airfield there.
battalion returned to Canada in the summer of 1943, then embarked for the United Kingdom on 13 September 1943. On 1
November 1943 the unit was redesignated 10th Canadian Infantry
Brigade Support Group (The New Brunswick Rangers), and on 24
February 1944 redesignated again to become The 10th Independent
Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers). This company-sized
support unit landed in Normandy as part of the 10th Canadian
Infantry Brigade of the 4th Canadian (Armoured) Division on 26 July
1944, and served in North-West Europe until the end of the war. It
was disbanded on 15 February 1946. The reserve unit in Canada was
designated as the 2nd Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers.
Cloth Shoulder Flashes
During the Second World War, a cloth shoulder flash in blue stitching
on a red background was worn on Battle Dress.