Corps / Branches

1900-1968 Organizational Corps
1968-2000 Branches

Listings
1900-1913| 1914-1963| 1964-2000

Corps & Services 1900-1968
Canadian Armoured Corps
Cadets

Canadian Army Pay Corps

Canadian Army Medical Corps

Cdn Army Veterinary Corps
Canadian Corps of Signals

Canadian Dental Corps

Canadian Forestry Corps
Canadian Infantry Corps
Canadian Intelligence Corps

Cdn Perm. Army Veterinary Corps

Cdn. Perm. Signal Corps

Canadian Machine Gun Corps

Canadian Provost Corps
Canadian Signal Corps

Cdn Signalling Instructional Staff
Chaplain
Corps of Guides

Corps of Military Staff Clerks
Electrical & Mechanical Eng.

Engineers
Militia Army Medical Corps
Musketry
Officers Training Corps

Perm. Act. Militia Army Med. Corps
Postal

Regimental Veterinary Service
Royal Canadian Armoured Corps

Royal Cdn Army Medical Corps

Royal Canadian Army Pay Corps

Royal Cdn Army Veterinary Corps

Royal Canadian Artillery

Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

Royal Canadian Dental Corps
Royal Canadian Infantry Corps

Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps

Royal Regt of Canadian Artillery
Service
Signalling Corps
Women's Army Corps

Branches 1967-2000
Administration

Armour

Band

Canadian Forces Medical Service

Canadian Military Engineers

Chaplain
Comms & Electronics Eng.

Dental
Infantry

Intelligence

Legal

Logistics
Land Electrical & Mechanical Eng.
Land Ordnance Engineering
Medical Service
Royal Canadian Armoured Corps
Royal Regt of Canadian Artillery
Security
Security & Intelligence

Security & Military Police

 

The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

Designated: 24 October 1903 (as Signalling Corps)

Replaced by: Communications and Electronics Branch of the Canadian Forces 24 October 1968

Status as of 1 Jan 2000: Active branch of Canadian Forces

The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals was an administrative corps of the Canadian Army up to the time of Unification.

Lineage

  • Permanent Force

    • 1 Apr 1919: Regular component of the corps formed as Canadian Signalling Instructional Staff

    • 15 Dec 1920: Redesignated The Canadian Permanent Signal Corps

    • 15 Jun 1921: Redesignated The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

  • Militia

    • 24 Oct 1903: Militia component formed as Signalling Corps

    • 4 Jun 1913: Redesignated The Canadian Signal Corps

    • 1 Aug 1921: Redesignated Canadian Corps of Signals

    • 29 Apr 1936: Redesignated Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

    • 22 Mar 1948: Redesignated The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

On 24 October 1968, the corps was amalgamated with equivalent navy and air force services to form the Communications and Electronics Branch of the Canadian Forces as part of Unification.

Functions

The corps and its predecessors provided communications support to the other corps and regiments of the Canadian Army.

History

The signal service acted as a component of the Canadian Engineers during the First World War, providing signal companies for the four divisions, two artillery signal units, and a corps signal company for the Canadian Corps. A signal company also served with the Canadian contingent in Siberia in 1919.

On 31 March 1929, The Corps of Guides was absorbed by the corps.

During the Second World War, the corps provided a variety of signals units to all formations of the Canadian Army.

Insignia

The insignia of The Royal Canadian Corps of Signals is described as follows:

An oval inscribed "ROYAL CANADIAN CORPS OF SIGNALS", surmounted by the Crown; within the oval the figure of Mercury standing on the globe. Below and partly encircling the oval, two sprays of maple leaves, stems crossed and fastened with a ribbon; the whole resting on a scroll bearing the motto "VELOX-VERSUTUS-VIGILANS".1

Notes

  1. The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army (Queen's Printer, Ottawa, ON, 1964) p.18


canadiansoldiers.com 1999-present