12th Manitoba Dragoons
Answering a call for "a Battalion at Winnipeg" to be formed during the 1885 rebellion, the 95th Battalion Manitoba Grenadiers was mobilized for active service on 10 April 1885. The battalion served in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force, and was removed from active service on 18 September 1885, being retained on the Non- Permanent Active Militia order of battle. The battalion was subsequently redesignated: '95th "Winnipeg Battalion of Infantry"' on 2 April 1886 and '95th Battalion Manitoba Grenadiers' on 21 May 1886 before being disbanded on 19 August 1892. Two independent companies remained, and No. 2 Company became one of the original squadrons of the 12th Manitoba Dragoons.
An earlier unit known as "The Manitoba Dragoons" formed in April 1893, from a company of the former Winnipeg Battalion of Infantry and the former 91st Battalion Manitoba Light Infantry. That regiment disbanded on 1 June 1901, but is considered an official descendant unit.2
The Regiment contributed volunteers for the South African War (1899-1902), and the 12th Manitoba Dragoons contributed to the 6th Battalion on its formation at the start of the First World War.2 The 6th Battalion formed the nucleus of the Remount Depot overseas, and was largely absorbed by the Canadian Cavalry Depot to provide reinforcements. The 32nd Battalion was redesignated a Resver Battalion and used to provided reinforcements.
On 1 November 1920, the 12th Manitoba Dragoons were organized as a two regiment unit. The 1st Regiment was placed on the Non Permanent Active Militia (NPAM) order of battle, and the 2nd Regiment on the Reserve order of battle. On 1 January 1929, the 1st Regiment was redesignated the 1st Regiment (32nd Battalion, CEF)
The 12th Manitoba Dragoons were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 May 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 200/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
On 16 March 1932, the regiment was authorized to perpetuate the '95th Battalion, Manitoba Grenadiers'.
The 12th Manitoba Dragoons were disbanded again for the purpose of amalgamation on 31 January 1935 and reorganized the same day (GO 30/35). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
On 31 January 1935, the 1st Regiment was redesignated the 1st Regiment (6th Battalion, CEF) (GO 117/35). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936.
Second World War
The regiment mobilized the '18th (Manitoba) Reconnaissance Battalion, CAC, CASF' for active service on 10 May 1941. The unit was redesignated as '18th (Manitoba) Armoured Car Regiment, CAC, CASF' on 26 January 1942, then as '18th Armoured Car Regiment (12th Manitoba Dragoons), CAC, CASF', on 16 December 1942; and finally '18th Armoured Car Regiment (12th Manitoba Dragoons), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.
The unit embarked for the United Kingdom on 19 August 1942 where it trained for its role as a reconnaissance unit. On 8 and 9 July 1944 it landed in Normandy as the corps-level armoured car unit of II Canadian Corps. The unit fought throughout the North-West Europe campaign to the end of the war. The overseas regiment was disbanded on 31 January 1946.
The badge is officially described as: