Hussars was a regiment of cavalry formed in the Canadian
Army as part of the Militia.
1903: 58th Compton Regiment redesignated 7th Hussars and
converted to cavalry.
1936: amalgamated with 11th Hussars, to form 7th/11th
The 58th Compton Regiment dates back to 11 October 1867 when
it was raised as the 58th Battalion of Infantry from eight
independent companies, and renamed as the 58th Compton
Regiment on 8 May 1900. The regiment was redesignated as the
7th Hussars and converted to cavalry on 1 May 1903.
In 1914, the
regiment contributed volunteers to the 5th Canadian Mounted
Rifles, CEF. On 1 April 1936, the regiment amalgamated with
the 11th Hussars to create the 7th/11th Hussars.
Bishop's Crossing, PQ
Predecessor: 58th Compton Regiment
Raised: 1 May 1903
Amalgamated to become: 7th/11th Hussars 1
In the period 1900-1920, the regiment served in
Military District No. 5, Division #5, as a part of the 3rd Mounted
Brigade. The unit headquartered in Bishop's Crossing, PQ, with
subunits as follows: "A" Squadron (Bishop's Crossing), "B" Squadron
(Bury), "C" Squadron (Scotstown), and "D" Squadron (Corkshire).2
The regiment formed a regimental
alliance with the 7th Queen's Own Hussars of the British Army.
Charles Stewart's Lineages of the CEF states no Battle Honours were
granted to the 5th CMR; Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army
cites the following for the 7th/11th Hussars (both the 7th Hussars
and the 11th Hussars had contributed men to the 5th CMR during the
First World War):
Arras, 1917, '18
Canal du Nord
The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army (Queen's
Printer, Ottawa, ON, 1964), p.70
Hampson, William C. A Catalogue of Twentieth-Century Canadian
Military and Metal Shoulder Titles 1900 to 1999 Part II: Royal
Canadian Armoured Corps (William C. Hampson Publishing, Calgary,
AB, 1999) ISBN 0-9685714-1-7 p.24